Participant Profile: Dr Jayant Wadatkar

This entry was posted Thursday, 9 May, 2013 at 5:22 am

Jayant_Wadatkar_cropped

Where do you live?
I live in Amravati in the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra. Melghat Tiger Reserve, a well-known protected area is in Amravati district.

When did you start watching birds?
I started my birdwatching systematically in 1997. Before that I was largely a trekker who used to visit forests to see wildlife for adventure.

Who would you consider your birding mentor?
While there was no person in particular who mentored me, but after getting in touch with my birder friend Dr. Raju Kasambe, my birding became more serious and systematic. Since then I have spend lots of time birding with Raju.

Please describe a memorable birding experience.
It is difficult to isolate a single event, but I particularly cherish one incident when I visited Malkhed Reservoir for a weekend trip with my family. There wasn’t any plan for birding but my binoculars, field guide and camera are always in my sack. I was wandering around the lake with my 8-year-old daughter Rajeshwari. All of a sudden my attention was attracted by a white-coloured bird among a flock of Ruddy Shelduck. Upon observing it more carefully I discovered that the white-coloured bird was a Common Shelduck! I was thrilled because that was the first sighting of this species for Maharashtra.

What are your favourite migrants?
I have a lot of favourites among migratory birds but perhaps Black Stork and cranes are on top of the list.

What is your favourite place to watch migrants?
My favourite birding spots to watch migratory birds are Malkhed Reservoir and Chhatri Lake near Amravati, although I like birding in Melghat and anywhere in the Satpuda Range.

Do you have any advice for beginning birdwatchers and naturalists?
Today in India the environment is at loggerheads with developmental activities. We want progress; however, it is coming at the cost of destroying natural habitat and resources. My suggestion to birdwatchers is: Don’t limit yourself to only birdwatching and bird photography; do make an effort to also study the habitat and threats to birds, and come forward to speak out for the protection of bird habitat.

Why do you think people should care about birds and nature?
Nowadays there is a need for lakhs of hands for conserving nature and wildlife, to create intimacy for nature in every person of this country and the first step towards this is to become a birdwatcher. If birds are safe, then forests are safe, and when forests are safe then we can survive.

Any other information that you’d like to share with MigrantWatchers?
By profession I am a laboratory technician at Amravati University but I have been interested in nature and birding for the past 18 years. I have been nominated as Secretary for Wildlife and Environment Conservation Society (WECS), Amravati, which is a society of of concerned individuals working for environmental awareness and research. I have done my Ph.D. on “Butterflies of Satpuda”. Presently I am working on the Forest Owlet and other owl species in Satpuda Range. I am also working as a State Coordinator of IBCN as well as Honorary Wildlife Warden of Amravati district. I am also actively working for Maharashtra Pakshimitra and we have recently hosted the 26th Maharashtra Pakshimitra Sammelan (Birdwatchers meet). I also encourage fellow birdwatchers to share their sightings on MigrantWatch.

You can see Jayant Wadatkar’s MigrantWatch contributions here.

16 Comments to Participant Profile: Dr Jayant Wadatkar

1. Gaurav Kadu says:

May 10th, 2013 at 8:47 am

Its awesome da congrats …….

2. anil mahajan says:

May 11th, 2013 at 3:13 am

Really nice to know about you Dr. Jayant Wadtkar.

3. JAY BALKHANDE says:

May 11th, 2013 at 4:28 am

Dr. Jayant Wadatkar really a great bird watcher…in India
    Congratulation sir……keep it up ….you are insipiration for new bird watcher like me…

4. Indrapratap S Thakare says:

May 12th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Your profile on “migrantwatch” is definitely encouraging the new comers. Go ahead Jayant bhau, with best wishes and warm regards.

5. ajit joshi says:

May 13th, 2013 at 11:52 am

This is encouraging for all of us. congratulations Dr .

6. NIL N MOHITE says:

May 13th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Congratulation sir,
    Really nice to know about you jayant sir,are also inspiration for new bird watcher like me.
    with best wishes and warm .
    regards,
    NIL N MOHITE

7. Digambar Mahajan says:

May 17th, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Really worthy & merciful work regarding lifestyle of birds & animals

8. CHETNA DHOKE says:

June 3rd, 2013 at 5:34 am

Congrace sir its realy encourage us

9. rajesh ghagare says:

June 3rd, 2013 at 3:46 pm

u r simply great sir, and a true wildlifer and birdwatcher, u r inspiration to us. best luck for ur unique travell on this way. . i feel happy and lucky that i have a friend like u.

10. dr. dilip sawarkar says:

June 4th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Really it is a great effort for the biodiversity conservation and role model for new birders.

11. Prachi Palkar says:

June 5th, 2013 at 10:32 am

Great, i feel very happy for u and proud of u. Best wishes for ur bright future from shrikant and me.

12. Dr. Vijay Mangle says:

June 21st, 2013 at 10:58 am

It’s a great achievement for you and us.

13. Alkesh Thakare says:

July 18th, 2013 at 10:19 am

Congrats Dada…….Really Gr8 News…….

14. suhas umale says:

September 25th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

great work doctor saheb

15. Tushar tendulkar says:

September 16th, 2014 at 1:09 am

sir i am from pune, i had read your article regarding that forest owlet. I had spotted those, in my premises. They are been there for past six months, if you can give me your email I wud send you pics of them.

lf its an endangered species, you would take some steps for thier rehab.

16. Dr. Jayant Wadatkar says:

September 19th, 2014 at 7:51 am

Dear Mr. Tushar Tendulkar, Thanks for your curious response by reading my article on Forest Owlet. there is much possibility of Spotted owlet, found in Pune that you seen. Till date Forest owlet only endemic to Satpuda hills and it is not reported except Satpuda along Maharashtra and MP. obviously, you send the photographs of this owlet on my email, so that I will confirm it. email: jayant.wadatkar@yahoo.co.in, mobile no. 9822875773